How to apply
All applications for initial teacher training (ITT) courses are made via the ‘Apply’ system administered by the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS).
The UCAS ‘Apply’ system for the Academic Year 2018 - 2019 is likely to open in October 2017 (date yet to be confirmed by UCAS).
The UCAS site provides step by step instructions on the application process and enables candidates to search and apply for ITT places.
Key points to remember are:
- There are a finite number of training placements available; each provider has been granted a set allocation by the National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL). Once these vacancies have been filled, the training provider must close their training programme on the UCAS portal. For this reason, we strongly recommend an early application for our training programmes to avoid disappointment
- You will need to provide details of two referees at the time of your application. Applications are not received by training providers until both references have been returned
- All applicants should use ‘Apply 1’ first. This should open in October 2017
- Once applications have been received, training providers are committed to letting you know their decision within 40 working days
- During ‘Apply 1’ you can apply for up to three choices at the same time (you can choose from any route, subject or age group, in any combination)
- Once you've received a response from all of the training providers you applied to, you have 10 working days to respond to any offers you receive. If you fail to respond within 10 working days any offers will automatically be declined
- If you are unsuccessful in ‘Apply 1’, you can try again with ‘Apply 2’ which should open in November 2017. During ‘Apply 2’ you can make unlimited choices but these must be made one at a time.
To view our current vacancies please check here.
If you're applying for programmes in a particular subject or age group, it would be helpful to explain in your personal statement why you have chosen them, and the skills and attributes you have that make them appropriate for you.
For UCAS Teacher Training applications, you'll need two references which are submitted online. Your application can't be processed until both references have been received.
If you are applying for a subject that differs to your degree, please explain why you have made this choice in your personal statement. It would be helpful to advise what vocational and/or academic qualifications you have to support your decision.