Booking a Professional Skills Test
Tips for Applicants
This guidance is to help you book your professional skills tests with learndirect. It is does not give advice to help you prepare for, or take the test.
- Use this DfE website (http://sta.education.gov.uk/) to find out about the process of the skills tests, including how to book, cancel or reschedule a test, and how to make any special arrangements.
- If you’ve got a conditional offer already, but haven’t sorted your skills tests yet, don’t worry. Let your provider or school know the situation as soon as possible, and update them as you book and take the tests.
- More test slots are made available all the time, so check the website frequently for current availability. Please remember that if you cancel a test within 3 days of the test date, you’ll need to pay for your next attempt.
- Check out the full list of skills test centres, linked from the DfE website. Use this to see the full range of test centres located in your area and further afield. http://sta.education.gov.uk/professional-skills-tests/the-process-for-taking-the-professional-skills-tests
- Searching for a test centre on the skills tests booking website shows you the five nearest centres to your chosen location. If you can take the tests somewhere else, widen your search by looking for slots at alternative locations.
- Do you live in or around London? There are nine test centres in London, so be sure to use the full list of test centres to find every location you can choose from.
- If you’re away from home visiting friends and family during the time you need to take your skills tests, think about using the full list of test centres to find one close to where you’re staying.
- Make sure you know where the test centre is located, what you need to take with you and how long it’ll take you to get there. Leave some extra time to complete the ID checks at the centre, details of which you’ll find under candidate identification requirements on the STA website.
- If you need to book and take a second or third test, make sure you have plenty of time to revise in advance of it. Practice tests are available online, for both numeracy and literacy tests. http://sta.education.gov.uk/
- If you experience difficulties in using the booking system, call learndirect’s helpline on 0300 303 9613 (available 8am to 4pm Monday to Friday), or email email@example.com.