Forgot your password?


Q.  How much are the tuition fees?

A.  For 2018/19 our tuition fees will be £9000 for trainees (non-salaried).  This is in line with other local and national accrediting bodies.  Successful applicants will be subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check at their own expense.  Further information regarding this process will be provided to successful applicants.


Q.  Do I need to pay the tuition fees up front before I start the course?

A.  No.  Most students choose to pay their fees via the Student Loan Company.  However, if you are paying outside of this process, your tuition fees will be invoiced.


Q.  How much does a School Direct salaried trainee get paid?

A.  A School Direct salaried trainees is paid as an unqualified teacher, in line with the Department for Education guidelines - this is currently £16,626.


Q.  How do I apply?

A.  All applications are made through UCAS.  You will find us listed as the 'Hampshire LEARN SCITT Partnership (School Direct)' for our salaried vacancies and the 'Hampshire LEARN SCITT Partnership' for our core (tuition fee) vacancies.


Q.  I've lost my academic certificates.  Does this matter?

A.  Yes.  Applicants who are offered a place will be asked to provide the original certificates for these examinations.  Replacement certificates (or certified statements of results) can be requested from the examination boards for any lost/stolen certificates.  Full details can be found on the Government website.


Q.  I gained my academic qualifications outside of the UK.  Can I still apply?

A.  Yes.  You must obtain a Statement of Comparability from UK NARIC to show your qualifications meet the academic criteria set by the UK Government.


Q.   Do I need to pass the Professional Skills tests before I apply?

A.  No.  However, we would like to see evidence that you have booked the tests when you attend our interview and we strongly advise taking the tests sooner rather than later.  All applicants to ITT training are required to pass the skills tests before starting their course.


Q.  I failed to achieve a grade C for GCSE mathematics and English.  Can I still apply?

A. Applicants who are otherwise suitable for ITT but, for whatever reason, have not successfully achieved a GCSE grade C may be given an opportunity to show that they can nevertheless meet the required standard, either by taking an equivalence test or by offering other evidence of attainment, which should demonstrate a similar level and breadth.


Q.  How much do I need to earn before I start to pay back my student loans?

A.  Trainees will not be required to make repayments to their Student Loan until after they are in employment and meet current regulations on earnings.


Q.  My degree is lower than a 2:2.  Can I still apply?

A.  As an alliance we only accept applications from candidates who have, or expect to be awarded, an honours degree (minimum class 2:2) by a British University or by the CNAA or an equivalent qualification.


Q.  How long is the course?

A.  One academic year - September to July.


Q.  Does it matter what subject my degree is in?

A.  As a provider we look for your degree to be at least 50% of your chosen specialised subject.  However, if you fail to meet this criteria but believe there are extenuating circumstances that should be considered (for example: your degree is not in mathematics but you have completed numerous accountancy exams), please contact us. 


Q.  How is the training programme structured?

A.  This is a school based programme so you will be training in a school throughout the programme.  You will have a main school placement and a placement in a second school for the first half of the Spring Term.  In addition, you will have training days in a number of schools across our alliance so, by the end of the programme, you will have had valuable experience of a range of schools.  We are in partnership with the University of Winchester and staff from the University will be delivering the training for the academic assignments you need to complete successfully for the award of a PGCE.


Q.  What if I need to improve my Subject Knowledge?

A.  As an ITT provider, we will identify if you need to complete an Subject Knowledge Enhancement course as part of the selection process.  If we feel you need to enhance your knowledge, we may offer you a teacher training place on the condition that you undertake an SKE course.  A range of available SKE programmes can be viewed on the SKE course directory.


Q.  How can I gain school experience?

A.  The National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL) run a school experience programme  and offer places to those wishing to commence initial teacher training (ITT) in a secondary school subject.


Q.  Can I train part time?

A.  Our programme is a full time course that is completed in one academic year.  Other providers may run part time training programmes.


Q.  Where can I find independent information on Initial Teacher Training?

A.  Further details on Initial Teacher Training can be obtained from the Department for Education's 'Get Into Teaching' site, which provides all the information you need about a career in teaching and how to get there.


Q.  What is your UCAS Institution Code?

A.  Our UCAS Institution code for School Direct (salaried) vacancies is 16P.  Our UCAS Institution code for core (tuition fee) vacancies is 1X9.


Q.  What is your SLC Institution Code?