Forgot your password?

Postgraduate tuition fee and maintenance loans

If you’re looking to train on a non-salaried teacher training course, you could receive a tuition fee and maintenance loan to help you successfully complete your postgraduate teacher training year and start your new career. This is available to all eligible postgraduate teacher trainees, with or without a bursary or scholarship.


Tuition fees and any other financial support you might receive will depend on your status as a home, EU/EEA or overseas student. Make sure you’re aware of the level of support you’re eligible for before you apply for teacher training.

Tuition fee loans

Tuition fees will vary depending on the course you are on and your chosen training provider. For more details on the fees charged, you should contact the HEI or SCITT provider of the course or programme you are interested in.

Home and EU/EEA students may be eligible for a tuition fee loan to cover the cost of tuition fees. This is available through Student Finance England. You won’t have to pay the cost of tuition charges up front and you will only repay the loan once you’re in employment and earning above £25,000.

Teachers' student loan reimbursement scheme

In October 2017, the then Secretary of State for Education announced the Teachers' student loan reimbursement scheme, which aims to increase recruitment and retention for teachers of biology, chemistry, computer science, languages and physics. The scheme is for eligible ITT trainees and teachers who are in years 1 to 5 of their careers.

From September 2019, all eligible teachers can apply for a reimbursement on their student loan payments for up to 10 academic years following the year of their qualified teacher status (QTS) award. The first academic year for which teachers can claim is 2018 to 2019.

Maintenance loan

You may also be eligible for a student maintenance loan to help towards accommodation and other living costs – amounts are dependent on household income and if you’re living with your parents.

If you’re an EU/EEA national, you may be eligible for help with living costs, and you could apply for a maintenance loan as a UK national if you’ve been living in the UK for more than 5 years before the first day of the first academic year of your course.

You can find out more about maintenance loans on GOV.UK.

Residents of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland will need to apply for this support via your country’s student finance body (Student Finance Wales, Student Awards Agency Scotland or Student Finance NI).