What We’re Looking For
We seek to recruit:
Graduates with higher degrees who:
- have recently completed their degree or are in their final year at university or
- are mature applicants who have decided to become teachers after working in another occupation.
We warmly welcome applicants from all backgrounds for whom becoming a highly effective teacher is their career aim.
- A desire to teach and enthuse young people
- An awareness of the challenges of teaching
- An awareness of the challenges of the training programme
- Strong subject-based academic background
- Good communication skills
- An ability to engage young people in learning
- An awareness of current educational issues
- Familiarity with the curriculum for the relevant key stages
- Adaptability, perseverance and professionalism
Commitment to teaching
To undertake training with the LEARN Alliance, you will need to be able to demonstrate your interest in teaching, as well as a commitment to the programme. We actively look for evidence of this in your application, references and the interview process through, for example:
- your interest in, and enthusiasm for your subject and for teaching it to young people
- your recent classroom experience, either observing or assisting
- first-hand awareness of current teaching methods and standards
Experience in Schools
Getting some classroom experience can help you to decide whether teaching is right for you – it could also strengthen your application. The Get Into Teaching website has a wealth of useful information including arranging visits in schools, more details about entry requirements and funding for your training.
Please visit our Events page to see the latest School Experience Days scheduled in many of our partnership schools.
Volunteering for after school or summer holiday youth groups is also an excellent way of gaining experience in working with children. Please contact your local school or LEA for more details.
Many of our trainees have also worked in a Learning Support or Cover Supervisor role in order to gain invaluable school experience prior to applying for our Initial Teacher Training programme. Most job vacancies can be found on Hampshire County Council’s Hantsweb site.
In order to qualify for Initial Teacher Training, there are a number of criteria set by the UK Government that you must meet. Please click here for further information.
Don’t hold back from applying for teacher training in maths, physics, chemistry, computing, design & technology or a language because of your subject knowledge confidence. You may still be able to train to teach these subjects (and be eligible for the bursaries they attract) by building up or refreshing your existing knowledge with a subject knowledge enhancement (SKE) programme. For further information, please view our SKE page.